Global Initiative for Food Security and Ecosystem Preservation – GIFSEP, on the 7th of July, 2015, was founded as a non-profit organisation in Nigeria. GIFSEP was established in recognition of the tremendous environmental challenges and the ever-increasing threats arising from the impacts of climate change. The organisation is built on the ideals of Environmental Education, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development.
GIFSEP aims to promote environmental and agricultural sustainability and the use of renewable energy across Nigeria to protect the environment and combat climate change.
The organisation’s mission is to mobilise communities to build resilience to a changing climate and conserve and protect the environment. It also seeks to create environmental and social platforms for job opportunities, improve food security and preserve our environment.
In the last six years, GIFSEP has partnered with various organisations on projects that dealt with: research and policy, advocacy, community climate risk management, climate vulnerability mapping, community natural resources mapping, land use planning, renewable energy and capacity development of different stakeholders.
GIFSEP has impacted the lives of individuals and communities via the following projects and initiatives:
- Abuja Climate Summit.
- Capacity Building of Students to Address Climate Change in Schools and Establishment of Environmental clubs.
- Coal Free Nigeria Campaign.
- Development of GEF-SGP Nigeria Country Program Strategy for Operational Phase 7.
- Mapping of Community Natural Resources Kebbi State.
- Participatory Land Use Planning in Kebbi, Borno, Jigawa, Kastina, Sokoto, Yobe and Zamfara States.
- Research on Coal Mining activities in Nigeria.
- Solar for Internally Displaced Persons Camps.
- Training of Farmers on Climate Smart Land use in Borno, Jigawa, Sokoto, and Zamfara States.
- Trees For School Campaign Abuja.
Through these projects and initiatives, about five hundred households, 2,500 individuals in internally displaced persons camps have received solar power systems. Also, about 450 persons have received training on environmental stewardship and 200 on solar installation and maintenance. About 300 women have also received training on the production of energy-efficient stoves. GIFSEP has directly impacted over 20,000 farmers, 300 agricultural extension workers, 3,500 school students, 120 school teachers, and 120 community activists.
Though project funding has not always readily been available, GIFSEP has made progress towards achieving its mission. Every setback faced provided GIFSEP with a chance to grow its resilience.
GIFSEP is the designated continental platform for Citizens Climate International and the National Platform for 350 Nigeria. Our partners and sponsors include:
- 350 Africa
- Africa Climate Reality Project
- Citizen’s Climate International
- Climate Reality Project
- Global Green Grants Fund
- Green Environment Facility’s Small Grant Programme (GEF-SGP) Nigeria
- International Fund for Agricultural Development – Climate Change Adaptation and Agribusiness Support Programme (IFAD–CASP)
- Lush Cosmetics Inc.
- Oxfam Nigeria
- Policy Center for New South Morocco
In the future, GIFSEP will continue to undertake projects and initiatives that increase its reach to people and communities as it strives towards protecting and conserving the environment.