World Environment Day is a platform to raise awareness on the problems facing our environment such as air pollution, plastic pollution, illegal wildlife trade, sustainable consumption, sea-level increase, and food security, among others. Furthermore, WED helps drive change in consumption patterns and in national and international environmental policy.The World Environment Day 2022 global campaign #OnlyOneEarth calls for transformative changes to policies and choices to enable cleaner, greener, and sustainable living in harmony with nature. It will focus on the need to live sustainably in harmony with nature, and our possibilities for shifting to a greener lifestyle through both policies and individual choices.
A green future is a prosperous future.
We need to act (boldly), innovate (broadly), and implement (equitably). It’s going to take all of us. All in; Businesses, governments, and citizens — everyone accounted for, and everyone accountable. A partnership for the planet. Protecting the environment is a collective effort and here are some ways in which we can protect the environment:
- Calculate your food print
- Advocate for climate Education
- Stand against deforestation
- Pick up trash while you walk or run
- Calculate your carbon footprint
- Switch to reusable
- Ask for green power
- Learn how to combat plastic pollution
- Push for plant based options
- Encourage the use of reusable utensils
- Go pesticide free
- Educate yourself about climate change
- Support organic ingredients
- Buy local food
- Eat less meat
- Grow an organic garden
- Use a reusable water bottle
- Skip plastic, buy glass or paper products
- Practice sustainable fashion
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning product
- Practice a simple green act everyday
- Turn off the lights when not in use
- Organize and strengthen community clean up
- Fight climate change with diet change
There is a need to build a prosperous and sustainable future, and time to restore nature and build a healthy planet for our children and their children; this is the time to take action. Today’s the day to TAKE ACTION not just because you care about the natural world, but because we all live on it. Every one of us needs a healthy Earth to support our jobs, livelihoods, health & survival, and happiness. A healthy planet is not an option — it is a necessity. We all have to play our parts and do the best we can to protect and ensure a clean, safe and equitable environment for all. Be an advocate for the environment. Happy world environment day!!!
By Farydah Ahmed.